U.S. general sees air strikes against Islamic State picking up
U.S. and coalition forces are likely to
increase air strikes against Islamic State
targets in Iraq and Syria in coming
weeks after a lull in September and
October.
The head of U.S. Air Forces Central
Command, Lt-Gen. Charles Brown, said
this while speaking with reporters on
Saturday at the Dubai International Air
Chiefs Conference.
Brown said that the reduction in air
strikes was due to weather and to a
slowdown in activity on the ground and
not due to the start of Russian air strikes
in the region.
He said both government forces and
insurgents were increasing their ground
movements to create more opportunities
for the U.S. and its allies to carry out
more air strikes against Islamic State
targets.
“If they’re not out and about, it’s harder
to strike, particularly for an adversary
that may wrap themselves in the civilian
population,’’ he said.
Brown also rejected criticism that the
U.S. was not using air strikes as much or
effectively as possible.
He said that coalition forces were
striving to avoid civilian casualties that
could help recruitment for Islamic State.
He also noted that the sheer number of
air strikes was less of an indicator than
the targets hit and the number of
weapons used.
The U.S. and its allies targeted Islamic
State in Iraq with 14 air strikes on
Thursday, and also hit the militant group
with nine air strikes in Syria, the U.S.
military said.
Brown told reporters that an agreement
signed with Russia to avoid possible mid-
air collisions was working well, and no
incidents had been reported.
“They don’t want a mid-air and neither
do we,’’ he said.
He said that the agreement did not
hinder U.S. forces from carrying out
strikes where needed.
“We have said, we are going to fly where
we need to, to get the job done,’’ he said













0 Comments :
COMMENT